There is a moment every Muncie winter when you can’t uncover the cause of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uneasy and chilly, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help save money and reduce drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to distinguish where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some helpful tips to pinpoint your Muncie home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and breaks in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with workable capabilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Examine to confirm that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket near the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from McComb Window & Door in Muncie to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Muncie a call at 317-983-5642 with any additional questions or potential replacement needs.